Friday, May 16, 2014

When strangers become good friends

Hello again from Deutschland! (This time from Eisenach!)

We have been working and spending time with the journalism students of Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University since Friday. It has been so much fun getting to know them and exploring the surrounding German cities with them.

The Cathedral in Cologne.

The Love Lock Bridge also in Cologne.

Wednesday we joined the students for a party in the school. Yes, you read that correctly, the party was INSIDE their school. It was a little strange drinking beer inside an academic building, but who are we kidding, of course I didn’t consume any of those! ;) It was great getting to know other students within the university as well as getting to know the students we already knew even better.

All week we have been working with the HBRS students in different groups to put together story segments for a Wartburg-HBRS collaborated show. Everyone had different roles in the show and within their groups. I had the great honor of co-hosting the show with my new friend, Liesa. We filmed our show (successfully) on Thursday afternoon, and had a bittersweet farewell party after all the hard work was done.

Most of the positions and the rundown for our show!

My beautiful co-host, Liesa and I.

Saying good-bye to the students of HBRS this morning at the train station was extremely sad. I really felt like I got to know each one of them in a different way so holding back the tears was difficult.

I would like to give a HUGE thank you shout out to the students and professors of Bonn-Rhein-Sieg University for an amazing week! We’ll see you again real soon.

So despite committing an international crime in Berlin (I forgot my train ticket expired, whoops!), spilling M&M’s all over at a cinema in Bonn, knocking over a glass of wine at a restaurant and really being more of a liability than anything, I have had an absolutely incredible time in Germany and I wish our stay here wasn’t nearing it’s end.

Drinking some wine, right before I spilled some...

I do look forward to returning to my family and friends back in Iowa in a couple of days to share all my souvenirs and stories with them, but a piece of my heart will remain here in Deutschland. I just hope I will be able to get all of my adult beverages and German chocolates back to the states as my checked bag is cutting close to its weight limit.

We arrived in Eisenach this afternoon and all I have to say is: Eisenach, you better be ready for us! Tomorrow we head to the Wartburg Castle for a tour and a concert from the Wartburg Choir. I am really excited for the final leg of our trip and I can't believe it is actually coming to an end.

Until next time, my friends.

Best,
Ashley


The beautiful scenery on the train ride to Eisenach.


No comments:

Post a Comment